spherepet: profile250 (Default)
spherepet ([personal profile] spherepet) wrote2017-07-05 09:39 pm

(no subject)

Our thoughts extend beyond the horizon once the Moon soars into inspirational Sagittarius at 1:07 am EDT. We can't contain our big ideas with both expansive Jupiter and other-dimensional Neptune in the picture. Our imaginations run wild while the Sun trines Neptune. The Sun's square to Jupiter overrides our ability to know when we reach the limit. Meanwhile, we proudly share what's on our minds as chatty Mercury boldly enters dramatic Leo.

An approaching deadline might have you fretting today, whether it's your own wish to finish a project or a target imposed by external circumstances. Whatever the cause, you must concentrate your efforts to stay on track by applying your talents to the tasks right in front of you. There's no payoff to worrying about the distant future now; concentrating on the present moment gives you a better return on your investment. Martin Luther wrote, "How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'."

Sleep began for us at about 5:00 am and continued through until noon. It was enough sleep to rest our weary bones after a night of browsing on the Internet. I confess to falling asleep at the switch frequently while Peter just worked away on his own computer without falling asleep at the switch. Anyways we both snore with equal base rumbling volumes.

It was a simple plan we had for the day. We boarded the #6 bus headed north on Bank Street. Somerset Street was our stop that we disembarked by rolling down the hydrolic ramp. We crossed the street and headed west on the north side of Somerset Street. The bumpy street sidewalks were up to their neglected standard and did much to wake me up from my hot afternoon daze.

Our first stop on Somerset street was at the Kow Loon grocery store in the center of Chinatown. Peter went in alone and came out later with a medium sized paper bag full of ten pork buns. We snacked on one pork bun each as soon as we settled ourselves at the south west corner of Somerset Street and Arthur Street. It was pleasant to sit quietly while feasting on those still warm fresh pork buns.

We continued on west after we ate our pork buns. Somerset Street sidewalks were not all that smooth. We bumped along until we arrived at Parkdale Fruit Market. It was Peter’s idea to shop for fresh fruit and I had the sudden brilliant inspiration to look through the flowers for something as a gift to give Rachel. I saw a little pot of violets that had such a brilliantly dark purple petals marked with brilliant yellow and blue colours. That would be a perfect gift to give to Rachel.

Peter bought a large basket of strawberries while I added the little pot of violets. I elected to carry with my right hand the little pot of violets in a white plastic bag. It wasn’t heavy and most of the weight rested upon my thigh. So laden, Peter and I set off on our electric wheelchairs in the south direction to the Civic Hospital. It was such a wonderful afternoon and we made good time on our pleasant tramp through the suburbs to the hospital.

Our visit with Rachel was actually very cheery. Rachel was in need of cheering up and we were the ones on hand to do just that. So, within ten minutes I began to feel very chilly and tired. It was more than what I could manage to stay aware with my eyes open. I could begin to hear myself purr in a rhythmic snoring. I slept for the hour and a half that we visited with Rachel. Rachel and Peter had a fine chat uninterrupted by my snoring until I woke up.

Our chat with Rachel ended amicably enough before we left by the eastern entrance to the hospital. As soon as we reached the public sidewalk, I lit a cigarette. Then we began to decide what we should do next. Peter suggested that we might go see Nicole and Bill who lived not far away from where we were. It had been a while since we last saw our dear friends.

Nicole and Bill were sitting on their front lawn when we arrived at their rented house. We were warmly greeted and hugged by both who took their turn at us. It was a happy time for all of us as we conversed about all kinds of topics. A year of past events and friends activities were highlighted with our joyfully light bantering back and forth.

It was also a time of our summaries regarding our health and welfare. It seemed that Bill who had a stroke, along with Peter and I with our COPD, shared similar troubles. Nicole with her nurse’s experiences was able to take professional care of Bill, while Peter and I were able to take care of each other.

An hour and a half passed very quickly for us sitting on lawn chairs on the green grass of the front lawn. I had seated myself on a lawn swing aligned with a newly laid sidewalk connecting with the main walk to the steps of the front door. The front of the lawn was enhanced with two little fenced flower beds along the line of tall trees. It was actually a nicely laid out lawn that Nicole and Bill were very proud of having constructed.

At some point our conversation lagged enough to squeeze in our goodbyes for a departure. We rolled away with a hearty sendoff of, “Watch out for road rage of crazy drivers on the streets!” We knew all about the possible road rage that could be encountered as we were guilty of such behaviors. Even on the little electric wheelchairs, I could be found guilty of silent thoughts. It is a good thing that we can think without voicing our thoughts.

Peter and I were intent on crossing the Experimental Farms, a huge acreage to the south of downtown Ottawa. There were roads and paths that allowed access to all parts of the Experimental Farms and the many buildings on it. We started across on a cycle path leading in a southeasterly direction. The path led to a road running east to the Heartwell Locks of the Rideau Canal system. In a short time we were at the locks and changing our direction to follow the Rideau Canal.

The Rideau Canal, first opened in 1832, runs parallel to the Rideau River although roughly a half mile to the north. The canal is hardly wide enough to fit two barges side by side and only deep enough for a river paddlewheeler. The canal is seasonally filled with slow moving muddy water that has to be dredged and frequently cleared of weeds. A barge is fitted with two five foot wide paddlewheels to entangle, pull, and pick up the weeds until the barge is full. The Harvester gathered weeds are disposed of by composting. There were many boats tied up to the dock of Heartwell Lock. The oddity of the orange painted weed harvester barge was one of them.

Peter and I could not cross the Rideau Canal on the walkway at the top of the gates of the locks. Steps led up to the walkway that our electric wheelchairs could not climb. So, we had to follow the cyclepath leading around Dows Lake, the backup water reservoir for the stretch of the Rideau Canal leading to the locks at the Ottawa River.

It’s a beautifully scenic walk along any stretch of the Rideau Canal. We were looking to follow the Rideau Canal to Dows Lake and around it to where the Rideau Canal picks up again. It doesn’t take long to cover the distance we had travelled on our electric wheelchairs. The weather and the time of day have to be taken into consideration. Our electric wheelchairs could stand up to rain or snow with little preparation. The time of day is a concern only because the lack of illumination can lead to a few undesirable accidents or situations.

We followed along the Rideau Canal only until it reached Bank Street. We crossed south on Bank Street bridge. We rolled along on our six wheelers until we reached the corner where we turned to go to our front door. The entire trip of ours had lasted over five hours to cover the distance of our wandering. It was a rough trip owing to the bumps and cracks of sidewalks and cycle paths. There are ways to make the trip smooth but none are within our momentary